Monday, February 3, 2014

Grain Free/ Low Carb/ "Paleo" Coconut Cashew Biscotti.

I have been making coconut cashew biscotti...a lot of biscotti.  I've probably made about 6 batches since December.  They are truly amazing...just amazing.  And it's all because of these little babies:


You get them at Costco and boy, are they delicious.  Are they 100% paleo?  No, but then again, I'm not 100% paleo.  You can also get them here.  Or make your own. Making your own and omitting the white chocolate chips will make them 100%.  But I'm lazy, so I bought 3 containers...and counting.

So my mother was complaining about missing baked goods while of the paleo diet.  Now while there is plethora of recipes out there and she's an amazing baker, my mother is instead choosing to spend her free time playing Candy Crush.  So I must be the good daughter and bake for her (which I do gladly because 1. I love her to death and 2. I love baking).

Coconut Cashew Biscotti
Based off Paleo Chocolate Orange Hazelnut by Swiss Paleo

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 1/2 cup coconut covered cashews, chopped  (or instead use 1/3 cup cashews, 3 tbsp toasted shredded coconut)
  • 1/4 cup coconut shreds.  (I used to bits at the bottom of the jar...but you can use regular unsweetened shredded coconut and add 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar)
  • 1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Instructions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

  2. Put the almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and mix.

  3. Add the egg, honey, and extracts and stir to combine (I used my hands...cause I'm a bum)

  4. Add in nuts, coconut shreds and white chocolate chips and gently fold in until combined.

  5. Then place contents onto a sheet of parchment paper and form one long log (about 4 inches wide or whatever your preference).

  6. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.

  7. Lower oven temperature to 275 degrees.

  8. Once cool enough to handle, GENTLY slice into 1/2 -3/4 inch slices.  Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.

  9. Then GENTLY flip the slices over.  Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

  10. Repeat this process until biscotti seems firm and are golden brown.  If they seem to be burning or getting too dark, lower your oven temperature.  You want to dry out the cookies so they have the proper texture.  I think mine were in the oven for 40 minutes after the initial bake.  


Allow to cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment